Saturday, January 23, 2016

The Sun and Moon

If you cry because you miss the sun, your tears will not let you see the moon ….African Proverb




It has been a while since I jumped into the unknown. It was sad to leave my home in Gulu this week; my friends, the familiar shops, restaurants, streets, and most of all my pigs. But if I let my tears prevent me from seeing the adventure before me I will miss it. I took an unfamiliar walk to an unfamiliar town, with unfamiliar shops, restaurants, and languages…I spoke three! I passed the refugee camp set up for the families fleeing conflict in Burundi…the children, maybe 30 or 40 came running over to the improvised barrier (a piece of string tied to trees), they wanted to shake my hand, to greet me, to touch my skin, to smile and say “bonjour”. The young man with them told me they like whites and they would be starting to learn English on Monday. Together we taught them to say “I’m fine” in response to my greeting and “goodbye” when I left. It is the first time since I first walked on to Mother Teresa Primary School three and a half years ago that I felt that kind of joy that comes from knowing you are in the right place, right now.

In the shop I found another young man who had enough English that I was able to do my little shopping. He sent me next door for milk where the three ladies had only Kinyarwanda, so we used sign language and smiled a lot. There was no milk, but I did buy some water.

Rwanda is so different from Uganda and Gulu, there are no outside venders, no goods displayed outside the shops, no people just lazing around or playing cards. It is quiet, peaceful, orderly and clean. The only thing that disturbs the calm are the big dump trucks the Chinese brought to steal the top soil and move it to the lake’s edge where they are growing rice, I hope the hippos eat it all. This adventure, creating and teaching in Rwanda will allow me to keep all that we have built in Gulu running. I will be paid for the first time in two years, my housing and food provided, so the students in our program can go to school one more year…and maybe we will have enough to send them all to programming camp next year.

There is a lot to learn in my new country and Gulu will always be my sun; but for now I am seeing the moon... and the stars.


3 comments:

  1. Your clarity of vision and full-hearted dedication to love, personal development, and affecting positive change through the mechanism of education astounds and inspires me on a daily basis. You are my hero, Mom. <3 Best of luck and love as you pass through this next liminal space on the way to greater understanding and limitless love! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura-
    Your mom shared this with me. It's so beautifully written and communicates far beyond words. How can I automatically receive your blogs---or, do I check periodically? I would enjoy reading them on a regular basis.
    Thinking of you and your decisions of bravery, love and hope.

    Love, your cousin, Donna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laura,

    How sweet to meet with you! I know this is just the beginning of your exploration in the land of a thousand hills. So tender and motherly. Emma, you are lucky to have such a loving and caring mother.
    We shall explore more I guess so.

    Murakoze Laura.

    Gonza

    ReplyDelete