Sunday, July 8, 2012

Babies and Beads

This week was something of a lull, but I wanted to put up some more pictures. We visited St. Jude's  Children's home last weekend. It was quite a shock after my trips to Mother Theresa's. It was eerily clean and the children were unnaturally subdued. There also seemed to be very few children compared to the number we were told live there. From the picture below you can tell that like all the children I have met, they are very comfortable with us and loved to be held.  Her name is Lamaro and interestingly enough this is the Acholi name I was given on Friday.  The students who gave me mine said it means "lovely girl who talks a lot"- ha ha- it really means loved or beloved...

We also had a woman named Molly come with some bead products that are made by a cooperative of women who are either widows or divorced due to LRA captivity. They share all the money earned equally and use it to support themselves and send their children to school. 


My new friend at St. Judes

Baby in blue


Beautiful beads

more beads

No comments:

Post a Comment